Sunday, January 10, 2016

Because I know it is the only solution


asked to tell
the story of the Hulk
or the Swamp Thing
an association with mycelium
a group of friends
perhaps younger
one of them says
to make it scary
I begin
saying
there once
was a scientist
Bruce Banner
and two other men
Hannigan and Flannigan
who were out to get him
but acted like friends
they murdered him
and tossed his body
into the swamp
there they body
was transformed
by the mycelium
networks in the brain tissue
replacing lungs and liver
heart and kidneys
skin and other organs
with mycelial structures
and connecting him
to the vast planetary
and global
mycelial network
realizing I am telling
a slightly different version
of the Alan Moore
Swamp Thing
Superman enters
and encounters
a Lex Luthor character
one of the Hannigans
who has created
two 747 jets
that fly by remote control
he is flying them around
a huge hanger
then adjusts a control
the jets taking off
in different directions
then he points a gun
at Superman's head
I am now Superman
and have a dilemma
about which plane
to follow
each is headed towards a city
at the same time
I adjust the controls
but it only makes the situation worse
making one plane
rotate the wrong direction
and impossibly complicating the situation
the plane hits
the top of a building
fighter jets
are scrambling
and I know
it would be a mistake
for them to shoot
the plane down
for some obscure reason
part of his ulterior plan
meanwhile
he has a gun at my head
and is counting down as
I am secretly
unscrewing a bolt
that has been restraining me
and then screwing it back on
to foll him
he says
time's up
and pulls the trigger
I act
dodging the bullet
at Superhuman speed
and fly away
to reverse time
because I know
it is the only solution