Saturday, March 27, 2010

A barrel full of water and green seeds


in a hotel or a monastery
preparing for a trip
gathering supplies
thirsty
a barrel full of water and green seeds
scoop out water and seeds
into my palms cupped together
try to drink the water
and not spill any seeds
some fall anyway
woman comes in
tells the people in the next room
the water is not for drinking
I imagine that I will get sick
on the verge of leaving
need to stop at a house
where a bunch of girls live
to give them some money
walking out to the car
in the early morning
before the sun is up
weather is bad
heavy fog
woman is beside me
I step into a hole on the driveway
the woman says
I should be careful
not about falling into the hole
but about where I am going
I walk easily out of the hole
trying to remember things
to write them down later
music in my head
my country tis of thee
sweet land of liberty
of thee I sing