Sunday, March 21, 2010

How it was to feel so alive in the summer


at the old house of my grandfather
camping down in the woods
in a tent
lots of people parked in his yard
I am a caretaker
driving a volkswagon bug around
stop to check on the people in the tent
an older couple
down on their luck
there is a cop there
he keeps looking down in the woods
but he can't see the tent
thinks it is a big boulder
as I am driving off
I stop to tell him
it is ok for these people to be there
he and I walk through the woods

now in the front yard
my mother out there
with a childhood friend
on motorcycles
three of us
we are moving all of our possessions
we do this on a regular basis
looking for my shoes
I took them off to play
I find them in some boxes

now in a department store
at a desk
other people at desks around me
get a guy from the stereo department
to bring over a stereo
to put on my desk until closing
so we can hear some music
throughout everything
is the feeling of being surrounded
by old friends from the early part of my life
how it was to joke around with them
how it was to feel so alive in the summer
when I was young