Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Where there are no shadows


at a bar in austin
they were filming a movie there
and we were working around the filming
a lot of wood in the bar
exposed rafters
wood floors
an old building
fire-trap
a lot a new people
I had never seen
working there
doing drugs
while we were working
walk down to another bar
where a lot of women look at me
they sell these weird gelatin deserts
I tell the guy that I want
to try something different
he gives me a piece of tough gelatin
like a shaking shard of amber
and tells me to taste it
I do and tell him it's good
he takes it over to a deep fryer
a girl next to me starts flirting
I don't respond correctly
after the busy night is over
talking with jon stewart
on a bed
with a bunch of financial papers
spread out around us
he was working there
as a manager
about where all the money went
about declaring tips
told him I made
just over a hundred
he tells me he knows
belaboring the obvious
as if to say he knew
I'd spent it on drugs
driving over to a house
near the bar
an adobe type house
bunch of bartenders
and waiters lived there
open windows and doors
everything broken
people all over
hot summer days
where there are no shadows
driving with an ex-boss of mine
from the last bookstore I worked at
looking for a friend
we knew everybody
looking for a strange motorcycle
keep hearing people
call out our names
as we drive around
stop at the house
they tell me
there are already three managers
scheduled to work
I don't need to go in
I am relieved to not be working
but wish I had some
more money
Signorney Weaver is there
under the floor
spreading out rat poison
granular yellow seeds
that look like wheat
scattered on the earth
I lift up the floor
to help her get out
the house is broken down
and collapsing
my friend is laughing
at how weird and beautiful
everything is
then at the bar
an employee meeting
one of the owners
comes in
carry this huge gun
attached to his body
something out of a sci-fi movie
one of the female manager
tries to shoot him
he starts firing off the shotgun
shooting at everyone
then a turns on a flame thrower
with no flame
just heat
and sprays it over all of us
he shoots
one of the female manager's
fake breasts off
and kills a couple of dogs
but no one else is hurt
everyone is laughing
because his entrance
and presence
were so terrifying
but no one got hurt