Thursday, April 1, 2010

I am trying to get back into the game


playing a football game
in a small town in Texas
I am the tailback
but the quarterback
never gives me the ball
I am also the coach
the playing field is
surrounded by wooden walls
similar to playing in a barn
just past the goal line
is a an old wooden wall
above us is an old roof
at one point
I get mad and call a time-out
to tell a lot of people
standing on the field
drinking and smoking
watching the game
to get off the field 
the team we are playing
is incredibly inept
but we can't ever score
I want the quarterback
to handoff to me
but he never will
we are always a few yards
from the goal-line
a friend I traveled
across the country with
is there talking to me
on the sidelines
there is some sort of joke between us
about whirled peas / world peace
the opposing team's brains
are like whirled peas
he tells me
he wants to whirl some peas
mess up their brains
we are trying to find someone
to imagine a utopia for us
if they can imagine it
then we can leave this dream
and go into that one
it has to be a small child
someone innocent
I go into a house
during a time-out
and an old coach is there
he hands me a glass of water
I break it as I am drinking it
I try to find a place to leave it
there is a party going on
I leave the broken glass
half full of water
on a table
pick up another
that I believe is full of water
take a drink
but it is alcohol
the remnants of a lime
are floating around in it
I go back out to the field
they are playing without me
I am trying to get back into the game
but there is a big crowd
along the sidelines
everyone surprised
that I am not out there