Thursday, December 10, 2015

I turn again and can find no way out of the water


there are two women
one is an ex-lover
the other is a friend
I am spending time with the friend
while the ex-lover is out
with another man
the friend and I
are at her house
watching a movie
but we both know
I am thinking
about the ex-lover
and the guy she is with
the friend and I are in her room
when the ex-lover arrives
back to the house
with her guy
I decide to leave
the ex-lover tells me
to not be silly
we are out in the garage
I am climbing over
all sorts of obstacles to get away
she is talking to me
but her face is funny
and I know she has been taking drugs
I finally find my bicycle
and walk it out of the garage
and I am in back of the Inwood House
where my grandparent's lived
and I grew up
I am heading back to the Princess House
where my parent's lived
and I also grew up
I am looking forward
to one last ride across Dallas
in the early morning

then I am up in the mountains
at a ski lodge
I get on a snowmobile
which I do not know
how to ride
there is a tournament going on
I am not in it
but it is going to start soon
I ride conservatively
staying in the well worn paths
getting the hang of the snowmobile
there are a few high ramps
and I choose to take the bypass around them
I am gaining confidence
and make a few jumps and turns
then get off the path somehow
I turn around a tree
and realize I am in deep water
I try to turn back the way I came
and the water is everywhere
the snowmobile is still going
but it is slowly sinking
I turn again
and can find no way out of the water
the snowmobile has no traction
and I am embarrassed
that the organizers of the tournament
who trusted me to be safe
on the snowmobile
will now have to rescue me
and recover the snowmobile
from the depth of the water
where it will be sunk